I listened to a webinar last night regarding the ups and downs of Groupon Social Media advertising. I know that many of you have been tempted to or have done a marketing promotion with a Social Media Site. I have had about 7 medical spas almost go under due to poorly positioned Groupon marketing. At first glance, Groupon and Social Living seem too good to be true…500 new patients streaming into your practice… all that $money$!!!! “We’ll convert them into profitable clients” you say. Most offices are not staffed properly or positioned properly on the web to handle this temporary traffic. If you include any kind of a consumable service such as Botox and Fillers, you may actually lose a lot of money. The stress on your schedule and staff may infuriate the loyal full price customers that you have already worked so hard to gain their loyalty and disposable cash dollars.
Here are the 10 things to remember when entering into a Groupon or Social Living contract:
1. Make sure your website, blog, Facebook and Twitter sites are up and running for maximum capture of new clients.
2. Make sure your phone lines and staff can handle 300 phone calls the next morning after your Groupon closes.
3. Check with your attorney to make sure the state in which you practice does not consider a professional and a marketing company doing a 50/50 split on revenues is “fee splitting”
4. Do not include consumables in your offer ( Botox, fillers, Thermage disposables, Clarisonic products)
5. Limit your offer to a short laser light service: facial hair, underarms, sunspots, vessels, mini facial, chemical peel for a specific condition. Put only three treatments in the package so you can sell the balance of 3-4 treatments at the same price but keep 100% (not split with Groupon)
6. Have your staff primed and incentivized to upsell the Groupon offer to another package (with a written flyer)
7. You have one shot at this clients, consider hiring a concierge during this peak period to process the group of new clients and service your existing clients.
8. The best Groupon promotions are 2 for1 $ promotions. Buy $50 of spa credits receive $100 in services. It will spread the patient flow over different providers.
9. Do a Groupon promotion now (if you can get in, that is) in slower periods such as July, August and early September or May, June or July when the business will fill the gap over the slower times while your regular clients are vacationing.
10. Hone your skills in consultation first, review clinical parameters and have a plan!
Social Media posting is very important in a practice but it is very time consuming therefore you will want to invest in a Social Media service to post to your platforms. Outsourcing your Social Media Marketing will help with your practice engagement and is a great ROI.